Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Insurance for Texas

Insurance for my truck (named Texas, by the way, because it was a tough name, and Zairians were enamored with re-runs of "Dallas") was a joke. If you were in a accident, you never got a claim settled by the local rip-off insurance companies.

In a bizarre twist, the older the vehicle, the more expensive the insurance. I checked and was told something about the older a vehicle was, the more chance it had mechanical problems, would be involved an accident, and kill somebody. It had nothing to do with the replacement value of the vehicle. So, insurance for my 15 year old truck was expensive, about twice as much as in the US.

I struggled for years to cover the 850 dollar annual cost, and then discovered a brilliant option that the Zairians used. The "I lost my insurance" paper, featured above, could be had from any local gendarmerie. This cost three dollars and was good for 20 days. Do the math.

No comments: